The IAC (Tenerife) announces ONE postdoctoral contract to work on topics within the research and technical project “Remote and/or robotic operation of the OOCC telescope”, led by Dr. Alejandro Oscoz Abad.
Tasks: The selected candidate will perform the technical and scientific tasks necessary to adapt the NOT telescope to the new observation modes (remote and queued) developing the software to manage the telescope’s OBs by means of a queuing system, and perform the necessary tasks to transform the Telescope to remote use routinely. The contract will have a duration of three years, once the remote observation mode can be offered to astronomers in the Spanish community within the CAT observation time. The contracted person will have his/her headquarters in the Island of La Palma.
Specific tasks to develop:
- Carrying out periodic observations alone or with visiting astronomers, mainly in the NOT telescope, but also in other facilities that allow gathering the necessary information to obtain the aforementioned objective.
- The maintenance and monitoring of the quality of the Telescopes, Instruments and Experiments associated with the aforementioned project.
- Software development for remote control of these instruments, as well as software for accurate and reduction of the data obtained with them.
- Calibration of the responses of the instruments to observations of different objects.
- Writing manuals for users, both for those who do not have experience and for experts.
- Proposition, development and commissioning of improvements in the instrumentation.
- Collaboration with the Telescopic Operations Group in all the tasks carried out by this group.
Previous experience as Support Astronomer and interest in astrophysical instrumentation will be particularly valued.
The previous inclusion of the candidate within a specific research proposal including research groups from both communities also will be particularly valued.
Requirements: The candidates must have an excellent research record, commensurate with the duration of their research career. They must be in possession of a Ph.D. degree in Astrophysics or Physics by the application deadline (August 31, 2020): candidates who have not received their doctorate before the deadline will be not be admitted to the selection process. The IAC is an equal-opportunity employer. We encourage, in particular, applications by women and by members of minorities.
Research topics at the IAC cover most fields of astrophysics, including solar physics, exoplanets and solar system, stars and interstellar medium, formation and evolution of galaxias, and cosmology and astroparticle physics. These fields are supported by an ambitious instrumentation programme. In 2020, the IAC was granted by the Spanish Government the status of Severo Ochoa Center of Excellence for research; it is the third time that this prestigious honour has been awarded to the IAC as a leading Spanish research centre. For further information on the IAC's research programme, observatories, and the GTC 10.4m telescope consult the IAC's website (http://research.iac.es).
The IAC, welcomes and supports the Recommendation of the European Commission 2005/251/EC of March 11th 2005 on “The European Charter for Researchers” and “The Code of Conduct for the Recruitment of Researchers” adopted by the European Commission. Both documents are nowadays key elements of the European Union policy for making research an attractive career and stimulating economic growth and employment in Europe.
During 2017, IAC has made a deep analysis about the "HR Strategy for Researchers" (HRS4R) fostered by the European Commission and its possible implementation at the IAC. HRS4R is a mechanism to support the implementation of the European Charter for Researchers and the Code of Conduct for the Recruitment of Researchers (C&C).
The outcome of that process is a GAP-Analysis and Action Plan for 2018-2019. After this process, the IAC has been awarded the "HR Excellence in Research" logo and recognition by the European Commission. We are now in the Implementation Phase of the Action Plan.
Selection process: The selection process consists of two phases: merit assessment and interview.
1.- First phase: merit assessment. The Selection Panel will verify and rate the merits documented by the applicants. The maximum score that can be awarded in this phase is 80 points, calculated as the sum of the scores obtained in each of the following two sections.
a) CV (maximum score: 60 points). Main criteria will be:
- Scientific and technical contributions to the field of research, especially those listed in the Science Citation Index, in relation to the duration of the candidate’s scientific career. Of special importance are the first-authored papers by the candidate.
- Appointments and stays (at the PhD or postdoctoral level) in prestigious research institutions.
- Conference contributions, especially those leading to publications.
- Other indicators of research activity and motivation (like invitations to lectures, organization of meetings, and teaching at University level).
- Any periods of inactivity for medical reasons, maternity/paternity leaves, elderly care, or due to training or professional experience in other fields will be taken into account.
b) Adequacy to the objectives of the contract (maximum score 20 points)
Adequacy of training and experience of the candidate to the contract he/she is applying for:
- Experience with professional telescopes, preferably with the NOT.
- Instrumentation and expertise with data reduction and analysis.
- Interest in and desire to increase their knowledge of those areas in which they are less experienced.
- Ability to work with minimum supervision and as part of a small and dynamic team.
- Spanish and English.
Form of accreditation for both sections: A report of the candidate's technical and research activity, accompanied by documentation accrediting the activities mentioned.
2.- Second phase: interview. (maximum score 20 points)
- Candidates who have obtained at least 50 points in the first phase will be invited to an interview. The interview may be given in either Spanish or English (as chosen by the candidate) and take place either in person at the IAC headquarters or using internet communication software (Zoom) that allows voice and image transmission.
- During the interview, the candidate will present, for a maximum of 10 minutes, his/her vision about the suitability of his/her professional profile to the position and the planned research activity if awarded the contract. The presentation may be followed by questions by the Selection Committee.
Of the maximum 20 points to be awarded:
- Up to 10 points correspond to the suitability of the candidate’s profile to the position
- Up to 10 points correspond to the candidate's vision for their future research activity.
To pass the second phase a minimum score of 15 points will be necessary.
To pass the selective process, a minimum of 65 points must be reached. If there is a draw in the score of two or more candidates, priorities will be set according to the Equality Plan of the IAC.
Training: Candidates who obtained their doctorate at the IAC must provide accreditation of a period of complementary training at other research centres. The required period is a full continuous year or 18 accumulated months (including periods of training during doctoral studies).
Duration: The appointment will be for a period of three years. The estimated date of commencement will be during the third quarter of 2020.
Remuneration: The gross annual salary will be 39.600 Euros, with deductions of up to 20% for income tax (IRPF) and social security (dependent on the candidate's personal situation). The contract provides social security cover for spouse or de facto partner and children.
Extra financial support to start the contract: The present job offer includes financial support for the selected candidate at the time of starting the appointment. The support covers the following items: air ticket (arranged by the IAC), stay at a hotel for a maximum of two weeks (reservation made by the IAC), and a per diem rate for a maximum of two weeks. This financial support cannot exceed 2,500 Euros.
Applicants from outside the EU: Successful applicants who are not citizens of a member country of the European Union must keep in mind that, prior to signing the contract, they must obtain a residence and work permit (NIE card) from the Spanish immigration authorities.
Presentation of applications: Applications must be sent electronically via the web-based application system http://research.iac.es/jobs/ before the deadline set out in this advertisement. Alternatively, you may follow the instructions given in the corresponding official advertisement on our website.
The following documentation must be sent in a single PDF file:
- Application form (Annex I, duly filled in and signed, including the position title and code number of the job offer)
- Copy of passport or national identity card (with the same number indicated in Annex I).
- CV, containing a list of publications
- Report on research activity and justification of suitability for the job (not exceeding 2 pages)
- Copy of the Doctoral degree or certified proof of being in possession of a doctorate (in Spanish or English)
- Certificate of training in other centers (only for applicants that have completed their doctorate at the IAC).
You should also include the names and email addresses two or three scientists familiar with your work.
Applications that do not include the application form of Annex I (the only mandatory document that cannot be later changed or added), fail to fill it in correctly, or include the title of another advertised position, will be excluded from this selective process. If any of the other required documents are omitted, they will have to be submitted within a period of five working days after publication of the provisional list of admitted and excluded candidates.
Application deadline: AUGUST 31, 2020
Contact: For further information about the scientific aspects of this opening, please contact the head of the project at the IAC PI, Dr. Alejandro Oscoz Abad (aoscoz at iac.es)..