The IAC (Tenerife) announces its SEVERO OCHOA postdoctoral programme to work on topics within the following research lines:
- Solar Physics (FS)
- Exoplanetary Systems & Solar System (SEYSS)
- Stellar & Interstellar Physics (FEEI)
- The Milky Way and the Local Group (MWLG)
- Formation & Evolution of Galaxies (FYEG)
- Cosmology & Astroparticles (CYA, CTA)
Up to two contracts are offered in each one of these topics, which represent the IAC’s principal research fields. All of these are supported by an ambitious instrumentation programme. Advanced fellows will be offered the possibility of advising PhD students that are hired by the IAC. Further information about the IAC's research programme, its Observatories and the GTC is available at the IAC's web page (
These contracts are financed by the "SEVERO OCHOA PROGRAM" (CEX2019-000920-S), supported by the Spanish Ministry of Science and Innovation. It follows the selection of the IAC as a Severo Ochoa Center of Excellence by the Spanish Government in 2020, a prestigious recognition awarded for the third time to the IAC as a leading research institute in Spain.
Qualification Requirements: To be eligible for admission, applicants must have completed a Ph.D. degree in Astrophysics or Physics and prove previous postdoctoral work experience in the corresponding line of research: candidates who have not received their doctorate before the deadline will not be admitted to the selection process.
Applications may be submitted to more than one line of research, but a separate project application must be submitted for each line of research.
The IAC is an equal-opportunity employer. We encourage, in particular, applications by women and by members of minorities.
Selection process: The selection process consists of two phases: merit assessment and interview.
1. First phase: merit assessment. The Selection Panel will verify and rate the merits documented by the applicants. The maximum score that can be awarded in this phase is 80 points, calculated as the sum of the scores obtained in each of the following two sections.
a) CV (maximum score: 50 points)
Main criteria will be:
- Scientific and technical contributions to the field of research, especially those listed in the Science Citation Index. Papers where the candidate is the main author will be considered and also those developments, commissioning, and exploitation of instruments with a relevant participation.
- Appointments and stays (at the PhD or postdoctoral level) in prestigious research institutions.
- Conference contributions, especially those leading to publications.
- Other indicators of research activity: invited talks to conferences and seminars, organization of conferences and scientific meetings, peer-review in scientific journals, participation in scientific committees, international collaborations, teaching at university level, direction or co-direction of Bachelor final Project, master or PhD thesis.
In addition, the following will be taken into account:
- Years of seniority since the defence of the doctoral thesis when weighing merits.
- Any periods of inactivity for medical reasons, maternity/paternity leaves, elderly care, or due to training or professional experience in other fields will be taken into account.
b) Adequacy to the objectives of the contract (maximum score 30 points)
In this section, an independent and high-impact research path will be valued in the corresponding line. Moreover, an ambitious and innovative research project in the corresponding research field will also be considered. The exploitation plans of the main facilities and projects worldwide relevant to the field of research will be favourably evaluated and the successful training in obtaining funding from national and international sources.
In the case of opting for more than one line, a specific research report must be provided for each line.
The objectives of the SO research lines can be found at the following link: http://research.iac.es/severoochoa/images/NEW_SO_2020_2023/MAIN_RESEARCH_GOALS_SO_20_23.pdf
2) Second phase: interview. (maximum score 20 points)
- Candidates who have obtained at least 50 points in the first phase will be invited to an interview. The interview may be given in either Spanish or English (as chosen by the candidate) and take place using internet communication software (Zoom) that allows voice and image transmission.
- During the interview, the candidate will present, for a maximum of 20 minutes, his/her vision about the suitability of his/her professional profile to the position and the planned research activity if awarded the contract. The presentation may be followed by questions by the Selection Committee about the contents of your presentation and all those aspects that they considers relevant.
Of the maximum 20 points to be awarded:
- Up to 10 points correspond to the suitability of the candidate’s profile to the position
- Up to 10 points correspond to the candidate's vision for their future research activity.
To pass the second phase a minimum score of 10 points will be necessary.
To pass the selective process, a minimum of 60 points must be reached. If there is a draw in the score of two or more candidates, priorities will be set according to the Equality Plan of the IAC.
Training: Candidates who have obtained their doctorate at the IAC must provide accreditation of a period of complementary training at other research centres. The required period is a full continuous year or 18 accumulated months (including periods of training during the doctoral studies stage and after obtaining the Ph.D. degree, but not periods prior to the predoctoral contract at the IAC).
Duration: The appointment will be for a maximum period of four years, which will not be extended beyond December 31, 2024. It is estimated that the date of commencement will be during the first quarter of 2021, after the present selection has finished, and the Spanish Ministry has approved the definitive resolution granting funds for the Severo Ochoa Excellence Program (CEX2019-000920-S).
Remuneration: The gross annual salary will be 34.680 Euros, with deductions of up to 20% for income tax (IRPF) and social security (dependent on the candidate's personal situation). The contract provides social security cover for spouse or de facto partner and children.
Extra financial support to start the contract: The present job offer includes financial support for the selected candidate at the time of starting the appointment, if required. The support covers the following items: air ticket (arranged by the IAC), stay at a hotel for a maximum of two weeks (reservation made by the IAC), and a per diem rate for a maximum of two weeks. This financial support cannot exceed 2,500 Euros.
Research travel funds: The Advanced Fellow contracts includes 2,500 Euros per year for research travels (conferences, workshops, observing runs, collaboration stays, etc.). Additionally, candidates will be able to access funds from the IAC Research Area that facilitate the mobility of their staff.
Applicants from outside the EU: Successful applicants who are not citizens of a member country of the European Union must keep in mind that, prior to signing the contract, they must obtain a residence and work permit (NIE card) from the Spanish immigration authorities.
Presentation of applications: Applications must be sent electronically via the web-based application system https://research.iac.es/jobs/ before the deadline set out in this advertisement. Alternatively, you may follow the instructions given in the corresponding official advertisement on our website.
The following documentation must be sent in a single PDF file:
- Application form (Annex I, duly filled in and signed, including the position title and code number of the job offer)
- Copy of passport or national identity card (with the same name and number indicated in Annex I).
- CV, containing a list of publications
- Report on research activity and justification of suitability for the job (not exceeding 2 pages)
- Scientific project to be developed during the four years of the contract (maximum of 2 pages).
- Copy of your degree or corresponding stamped certificate, issued on behalf of the University where you have obtained the degree (in Spanish or English)
- Certificate of training in other centers (only for applicants that have completed their doctorate at the IAC).
You should also include the names and email addresses of two or three scientists familiar with your work.
Applications that do not include the application form of Annex I (the only mandatory document that cannot be later changed or added), fail to fill it in correctly, or include the title of another advertised position, will be excluded from this selection process. If any of the other required documents are omitted, they will have to be submitted within a period of five working days after publication of the provisional list of admitted and excluded candidates.
The IAC supports and adheres to the Recommendation of the European Commission 2005/251/EC of March 11th 2005 on “The European Charter for Researchers” and “The Code of Conduct for the Recruitment of Researchers” adopted by the European Commission. Additionally, the IAC is aligned with the "Human Resources Strategy for Researchers" (HRS4R) fostered by the European Commission to support the implementation of the European Charter for Researchers and the Code of Conduct for the Recruitment of Researchers (C&C), having received recognition from the European Commission, with the award of the distinction "Excellence in Human Resources in Research".
Application deadline: 30 days after call publication.
Contact: For further information about the scientific aspects of this opening, please contact: corinv at iac.es.