This section includes scientific and technological news from the IAC and its Observatories, as well as press releases on scientific and technological results, astronomical events, educational projects, outreach activities and institutional events.

  • Jornada de puertas abiertas en el Observatorio del Teide
    Cientos de personas se han acercado este fin de semana al Observatorio del Teide para participar en las tradicionales jornadas de puertas abiertas que organiza el Instituto de Astrofísica de Canarias coincidiendo con la semana del solsticio de verano. Esta actividad, organizada de forma conjunta por el Observatorio del Teide y por la Unidad de Comunicación y Cultura Científica (UC3) del IAC, forma parte de las tareas de divulgación que realiza el Instituto para que la ciudadanía pueda conocer de primera mano uno de los mejores observatorios del mundo, sus infraestructuras, el trabajo de su
    Advertised on
  • Illustration of the UNDARK project
    UNDARK is a pioneering project led by the Instituto de Astrofísica de Canarias (IAC) bringing together outstanding international institutions in the fields of astrophysics, cosmology, and particle physics. Funded for three years via the 'Widening' programme of the European Union, its objective is to tackle one of the major puzzles of contemporary physics: the dark universe. The major part of the Cosmos is composed by the so-called “dark universe”. Barely 18% of the total matter in the universe is made up of the elements in atoms with which we are familiar, while the remaining 82%, termed
    Advertised on
  • Begoña García Lorenzo
    Begoña García Lorenzo, a researcher at the Instituto de Astrofísica de Canarias (IAC) has been appointed coordinator of the Network of Astronomical Infrastructures (RIA), and advisory committee on astronomical affairs of the General Administration of State, funded by the Ministry of Science, Innovation and Universities. The task of the RIA is to offer guidance about the Scientific-Technical Singular Infrastructures (ICTS in Spanish) and International Installations and Organisms (IOI), promoting collaboration among them. With an important carreer lasting over two decades in astrophysical
    Advertised on
  • IAC engineers working in one of the Assembly, Integration and Verification Rooms (AIV).
    The Instituto de Astrofísica de Canarias (IAC) has set up its Office for the Transfer of Knowledge (OTC), a step towards its commitment to knowledge transfer in which it combines its Office for Transfer and Institutional Actions (OTAI) and its Unit of Communication and Scientific Culture (UC3) The creation of the OTC implies a recognition of the trajectory and the effort of the IAC in promoting the transfer of knowledge to its social and economic surroundings. The new OTC has been favourable evaluated, and inscribed in the Register of Offices of Knowledge Transfer (OTC for its initial in
    Advertised on
  • Poster for the Open Days at the Teide 2024 Observatory. Credit: Inés Bonet (IAC)
    FULLY BOOKED Thank you very much for your interest in the Open Days 2024. All available places have been fully booked with the applications received. Those who have successfully registered will receive an email confirming their attendance or non-attendance as soon as possible. We regret that we are unable to attend all applications, but we encourage you to stay tuned for our next calls and events - we look forward to your participation in future activities! We would like to remind you that other visits are organised throughout the year and can be requested via our Visits page . Coinciding
    Advertised on
  • El Instituto de Astrofísica de Canarias celebra su XV edición del Día de Nuestra Ciencia
    El Instituto de Astrofísica de Canarias celebra este viernes, 7 de junio, la XV edición del Día de Nuestra Ciencia. El evento interno tiene lugar en la sede del IACTEC en La Laguna y es el momento anual que tienen los grupos de trabajo del IAC para presentar y conocer la labor de las distintas áreas del centro: Investigación, Instrumentación y Divulgación. También es un momento de convivencia y de acercamiento entre los distintos equipos de trabajo.
    Advertised on