J-PLUS: Photometric Recalibration with the Stellar Color Regression Method and an Improved Gaia XP Synthetic Photometry Method

Xiao, Kai; Yuan, Haibo; López-Sanjuan, C.; Huang, Yang; Huang, Bowen; Beers, Timothy C.; Xu, Shuai; Wang, Yuanchang; Yang, Lin; Alcaniz, Jailson; Galarza, Carlos Andrés; Angulo De La Fuente, Raul E.; Cenarro, A. J.; Cristóbal-Hornillos, David; Dupke, Renato A.; Ederoclite, Alessandro; Hernández-Monteagudo, Carlos; Marín-Franch, Antonio; Moles, Mariano; Sodré, Laerte; Vázquez Ramió, Héctor; Varela López, Jesús
Bibliographical reference

The Astrophysical Journal Supplement Series

Advertised on:
Number of authors
IAC number of authors
Refereed citations
We employ the corrected Gaia Early Data Release 3 photometric data and spectroscopic data from the Large Sky Area Multi-Object Fiber Spectroscopic Telescope (LAMOST) DR7 to assemble a sample of approximately 0.25 million FGK dwarf photometric standard stars for the 12 J-PLUS filters using the stellar color regression (SCR) method. We then independently validate the J-PLUS DR3 photometry and uncover significant systematic errors: up to 15 mmag in the results from the stellar locus method and up to 10 mmag primarily caused by magnitude-, color-, and extinction-dependent errors of the Gaia XP spectra as revealed by the Gaia BP/RP (XP) synthetic photometry (XPSP) method. We have also further developed the XPSP method using the corrected Gaia XP spectra by B. Huang et al. and applied it to the J-PLUS DR3 photometry. This resulted in an agreement of 1-5 mmag with the SCR method and a twofold improvement in the J-PLUS zero-point precision. Finally, the zero-point calibration for around 91% of the tiles within the LAMOST observation footprint is determined through the SCR method, with the remaining approximately 9% of the tiles outside this footprint relying on the improved XPSP method. The recalibrated J-PLUS DR3 photometric data establish a solid data foundation for conducting research that depends on high-precision photometric calibration.
Related projects
Full-sky map showing the spatial distribution of the primary anisotropies of the Cosmic Microwave Background (generated 380,000 years after the Big Bang) derived from observations of the Planck satellite
Anisotropy of the Cosmic Microwave Background
The general goal of this project is to determine and characterize the spatial and spectral variations in the temperature and polarisation of the Cosmic Microwave Background in angular scales from several arcminutes to several degrees. The primordial matter density fluctuations which originated the structure in the matter distribution of the present
Rebolo López
 The Invisible Scaffolding of Space
Cosmology with Large Scale Structure Probes
The Cosmic Microwave Background (CMB) contains the statistical information about the early seeds of the structure formation in our Universe. Its natural counterpart in the local universe is the distribution of galaxies that arises as a result of gravitational growth of those primordial and small density fluctuations. The characterization of the