Public communication of astronomy provides an important link between the scientific astronomical community and society, giving visibility to scientific success stories and supporting both formal and informal science education.
Astronomy enriches our culture, nourishes a scientific outlook in society, and addresses important questions about humanity's place in the universe. It is a science particularly suitable for the development of projects with the educational community that foster critical thinking and interest in scientific-technological careers among young people. Sharing what we learn about the universe is an investment in our fellow citizens, our institutions, and our future. As a leading research institution which conduct astronomical research, the IAC is convinced of communicating its results and efforts with the public for the benefit of all.
The Outreach officer of the Severo Ochoa Program, in collaboration with the rest of the IAC's Press and Outreach Unit, is devoting special attention to the following key actions:
- Increase the presence in social networks with audiovisual products that explain the IAC's scientific research, challenges and outcomes.
- Produce educational material and outreach activities for young students.
- Train Secondary School teachers from all over the country to develop a dissemination plan in their regions to awaken scientific and technical vocations among their students.
- Intensify the production of resources for the general public (3D images, fulldome (360º), virtual visits) available through the IAC's media and via the Network of Science Museums and Planetariums, cinemas, the tourism industry, etc.
- Organize the Severo Ochoa International Forum for communication of scientific excellence in Spain.
This set of outreach and communication activities is being carried out in close coordination with the IAC's Severo Ochoa Program Management.